The earliest war museum at Belleau Wood

This early war museum at Belleau Wood, with its collection of gathered and excavated artifacts, was brought together sometime after the war by a farmer from the nearby village of Bussiares, located to the north of Hill 142. Very little is known about him, or his museum. He filled it with artifacts which he collected himself from Belleau Wood and the surrounding fields. He was considered somewhat strange by his neighbors at that time, because of his interest in the detritus of the battlefields.

The museum did not survive the second invasion by the German Army through this region in June of 1940.

Information & photographs courtesy of Gilles Lagin.

BJ Omanson

Published in: on November 3, 2010 at 9:00 am  Leave a Comment